The Otsego District Public Library (ODPL) is a vital, vibrant, well-run organization that serves as a valuable resource for the community. Every day, our patrons tell us how proud they are of ODPL. Our mission is to enrich the community by connecting people with information, each other, and the world. We do this through emphasizing customer service, offering creative programming, useful technology, and building a beautiful collection relevant to community needs. You know that because you are one of the library’s 16,303 awesome patrons. Our welcoming staff does an outstanding job, and our Friends of the Library volunteers donate over 1,500 volunteer hours per year to support the library efforts.
The library team truly strives to be fiscally responsible stewards of the public funds.
- In 2016, ODPL saved the community $250,000 over a ten year span by refinancing the debt bonds, even though the library itself would see no additional funding or savings from this process to pay off the building at a better rate for the community.
- One of the library’s strengths is its rich program offerings: every year the library puts on fantastic programs, like our local business-sponsored Winter Early Literacy Fundraisers (Candyland, Jumanji, Wonderland, Wizard of Oz), Lyrics on the Lawn, Summer Reading Program and more. All of the library programs are planned using under 3% of the library’s operating budget.
- The library has added seven new income sources over the past seven years. We are always actively looking for ways to supplement the library’s income as well as cut costs on expenses.
ODPL is proud of the service and resources we provide the community and the library has been in good stride. This is our tenth year in our building. We have several specific requests for community support:
- Add 3rd Grade Reading Booster Packs: A new collection of tutoring kits that parents and kids can checkout, designed for struggling readers, based of fluency, comprehension, vocabulary, and phonics.
- Replace Self-Checkout Machines and Tag-Readers: Our current machines are operating on an old system that is no longer supported.
- Replace Chairs for Computer Stations: Our current chairs are worn from a decade of use and in desperate need of replacement with a cleanable fabric.
- Add Concrete Pad & Fencing for Commercial Trash Bin: We need a receptacle are to house a commercial-size trash bin.
- Add Current Technology: The library would also love to ad increased technology offerings similar to the new features at other libraries, such as: Robotics, a Makerspace, 3D Printing, updated Teen Gaming, and Virtual Reality.
We have developed a wish list for smaller items as well. If you would like to gift the library anything this holiday season, find a link to our Amazon Wishlist on our website and Facebook Page.
There is so much the library could do with additional revenue from generous community donors.
We have set a goal of fundraising $26,500 from our community supporters. These projects are outside of our regular budget parameters. Please join with us; you will truly make a difference. Your support will help position us to continue to provide the quality library materials and facility you love and deserve.
Please consider adding the library to you list of annual giving so that we may preserve our vision to maintain the best library around!
A donation form is found below for your convenience. You can also make a donation in person at the library, over the phone via credit card, or through the PayPal DONATE button on our website. The library is a non-profit, so consult with your tax adviser because your donation is most likely tax deductible! We are happy to send you an acknowledgement receipt for your donation.
Any amount helps. If just 530 patrons gave $50 we would hit our goal. We have heard so many voice their support of the library, and we greatly thank you for your support.
“There’s no place like home!”
Andrea Estelle, Library Director
Diane DeVries, Assistant Library Director
Jacqueline Bennett, Board President
Robin Rowe, Board Vice President
Nancy Seibert, Board Secretary
David Goodrich, Board Treasurer
Laurie Andrus, Board Trustee
Bart Seelye, Board Trustee
Now, if you are able, we ask for your help.
Thank you for being a great library patron and for your support of your hometown library!