Otsego District Library supports the right of all individuals to use the library safely and without discrimination. Patrons shall be defined in this policy as any person on the library property that is not a library employee. In order to properly maintain a clean, safe, and comfortable environment for our patrons and employees, the Otsego District Library Board has adopted the following rules and regulations:
- Patrons shall engage in activities associated with the use of a public library. Patrons not reading, studying, using library materials, or participating in a library-related activity may be required to leave the building.
- Patrons may not sleep or bathe in the library.
- Patrons shall respect the rights of other patrons and library staff. Patrons shall not harass or annoy others, including: verbal abusiveness or belittlement of the staff or patrons, noisy or boisterous activities, by staring at another person with the intent to annoy that person, by following another person about the building with the intent to annoy that person, by playing audio equipment so that others can hear it, including earbuds, by singing or talking loudly to others or in monologues, or by displaying print or non-print materials of an offensive nature to others, or by behaving in a manner that can be reasonably expected to disturb others. Solicitation and collecting signatures is prohibited on the library property.
- Patrons may eat non-messy light snacks at the table surfaces in the library. Snacking in the soft furniture is not allowed. Meals (sandwiches, anything heated, anything with a smell, restaurant food, etc.) must be eaten in the large program room by staff approval only. Covered beverages are allowed. Patrons must fully clean up after themselves or eating privileges can be revoked at any time by any staff member.
- Patrons shall not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Possession of alcohol and marijuana is prohibited on library property.
- Patrons shall not engage in any illegal activity while in the library building.
- Patrons shall not interfere with the use of the library by other patrons, or interfere with library employees’ performance of their duties.
- Patrons shall not deface or mar library materials including books, magazines, newspapers, recordings or other items of the library collection. Nor shall they deface, mar or in any way destroy or damage library furnishings, walls, machines, or other library property.
- Patrons shall not enter the building without a shirt or shoes. Patrons must wear a covering on their upper bodies and shoes or other footwear, excluding roller blades. The majority of torso must be covered. Patrons whose bodily hygiene is offensive or wearing overpowering cologne/perfume so as to constitute a nuisance to other patrons may be required to leave the building.
- Patrons shall not bring pets or animals into the library, with the exception of service dogs/animals.
- Weapons are not allowed in the library unless carried by a peace officer, or as allowed by state or federal law.
- Each patron shall be responsible for any fines, fees or other charges due in accordance with the library’s standard schedules. Failure to pay these fines will result in the suspension of borrowing privileges and internet use.
- Any materials removed from the library must be checked out on a valid library card or through other standard library procedures such as interlibrary loan.
- Patrons may not use roller blades, roller skates, or skateboards on library property.
- Tobacco, marijuana, nicotine products, or e-cigarette devices may not be used in the library or on library property.
- Patrons may not go into the staff workspaces without staff permission.
- No patron may set up a table, stand, or sign on the library property. This rule does not apply to library-sponsored events or room rentals or signs for non-profits on the community board.
- Patrons may not sleep on the library property at night or sit on the benches in the dark, after the library is closed. Benches and tables on the library’s exterior property are for dawn-to-dusk use only. Overnight parking is prohibited.
Any patron not abiding by these or other rules and regulations of the library may be required to leave the library premises and may forfeit their library privileges. Library employees will contact the police if deemed advisable. The Library Director may deny any patron who violates these rules and regulations the privilege of access to the library. A patron whose privileges have been denied may have the decision reviewed by the Library Board of Trustees by submitting a written appeal within seven days of notification of being blocked from the library.