To allow all patrons of the Otsego District Public Library to use its facilities to the fullest extent during regularly scheduled hours, the Library Board of Trustees has adopted the following rules and regulations:
1. Patrons shall engage in activities associated with the use of a public library. Patrons not reading, studying, using library materials, or participating in a library-related activity may be required to leave the building.
2. Patrons may not sleep in the library.
3. Patrons shall respect the rights of other patrons. Patrons shall not harass or annoy others through noisy or boisterous activities, by staring at another person with the intent to annoy that person, by following another person about the building with the intent to annoy that person, by playing audio equipment so that others can hear it, by singing or talking loudly to others or in monologues, or by displaying print or non-print materials of an offensive nature to others, or by behaving in a manner that can be reasonably expected to disturb others.
4. Patrons shall not consume food in the library unless it is in connection with a library-sponsored or approved event. Covered beverages are allowed in the library.
5. Patrons shall not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
6. Patrons shall not engage in any illegal activity while in the library building.
7. Patrons shall not interfere with the use of the library by other patrons, or interfere with library employees’ performance of their duties.
8. Patrons shall not deface or mar library materials including books, magazines, newspapers, recordings or other items of the library collection. Nor shall they deface, mar or in any way destroy or damage library furnishings, walls, machines, or other library property.
9. Patrons shall not enter the building without a shirt or shoes. Patrons must wear a covering on their upper bodies and shoes or other footwear, excluding roller blades. Patrons whose bodily hygiene is offensive so as to constitute a nuisance to other patrons may be required to leave the building.
10. Patrons shall not bring pets or animals into the library, other than service dogs.
11. Weapons are not allowed in the library unless carried by a peace officer, or as allowed by state or federal law.
12. Each patron shall be responsible for any fines, fees or other charges due in accordance with the library’s standard schedules. Failure to pay these fines will result in the suspension of borrowing privileges and Internet use.
13. Any materials removed from the library must be checked out on a valid library card or through other standard library procedures such as interlibrary loan.
14. People may not use roller blades, roller skates, or skateboards on library property.
15. Tobacco or tobacco products may not be used in the library or on library property.
16. Any patron not abiding by these or other rules and regulations of the library may be required to leave the library premises and may forfeit their library privileges. Library employees will contact the police if deemed advisable.
17. The Library Board of Trustees may deny any patron who violates these rules and regulations the privilege of access to the library, on the recommendation of the Library Director. A patron whose privileges have been denied may have the decision reviewed by the Board of Trustees.